Thursday 29 May 2008

A year of JRock...

So, around this time last year, I first heard of Japanese Rock music... And a very interesting relationship began. I haven't felt so thrilled by music for a long time, and not only the music but the people that make the music.

I got to known Miyavi, Gackt, the Gazette, Alice Nine, Kagrra,, Sugizo (and, consequently, Luna Sea) and Yoshiki (which of course also includes X Japan) and a few others. These artists are not only appealing because of their music but also because of their visual style. For instance, I cannot imagine Miyavi without his tattoos, piercings, crazy hats and clothes. The remaining artists also have a very strong and charactheristic visual image. However, in the end their music is what remains.

Give them a chance, don't get shocked for their visuals or their stage antics (some people might feel ofended, but its fanservice; it exists because the fans want to see that kind of stuff). Go to YouTube and search them. I'll leave here some links for each of them.

Miyavi (
oficial homepage; wiki)
Selfish Love
(the music/video that made me fall in love with Miyavi)
Hi No Hikari sae todokanai kono basho (ft. Sugizo)
(the latest single; link for the
lyrics translation - credits to baka_neko - just in case your curious)
Ashita, Genki ni Naare

Gackt
(oficial homepage; wiki)
Lust for Blood
(also the music/video that made me fall in love with Gackt)
Misty
(instrumental, have a bit of patience and wait until the music starts its worth it)
Returner -Yami no Shuuen
(the latest single)

the Gazette (
oficial homepage; wiki)
Chizuru
Filth in the Beauty

Alice nine (oficial homepage; wiki)
Souen Namonaki Kimi e
(definitely my favorite from these guys :))
Q.

Kagrra,
(oficial homepage; wiki)
Utakata
(the link for the lyrics translation is some posts back)

Sakebi
Satsuki

Sugizo (oficial homepage; wiki)
Synchronicity by Soundtrack
Lucifer
Kind of Blue

Luna Sea
(oficial homepage; wiki)
(i don't know Luna Sea that well... this is just a glimpse; to tell you the truth I still have a lot to learn about all these artists, so search for them if what you see and hear is somewhat enjoyable for you)

Storm
I for You
Rosier

Yoshiki
(oficial homepage; wiki)
Symphonic Concert Trailer
(Yoshiki is, among other things, a composer, a piano player and a drummer)
Drum solo
Unnamed Song

X Japan
(oficial homepage; wiki)
I.V.
(from Saw IV soundtrack)

Art of Life
(only an excerpt, since the original is ~30 minutes long; to hear the remaining of the song follow the links that are in the description box)
X (version
1, 2)
Rusty Nail

As a bonus a music from a band composed of Yoshiki, Gackt, Sugizo and Miyavi:
S.K.I.N. -
Killing you Softly
(unfortunatly something official has yet to be released)


There is a ton of other JRock and/or Visual Kei bands that I don't know. This is nothing but a small sample.

PS - It took me more than a hour to write this post. And I was stupid and lost the last few that I had written, because I logged off... So I had to re-write everything and go after the last links again...

PS2 - I had two addtional PS's but I don't remember what I wrote...

PS3 - I remembered one: It seems like I don't feel lazy to write about Japanese Rock music in English. To tell the truth it feels completely natural...

No comments: