Friday 4 July 2008

The arrival (finally...)

(The only picture I took during the flights: Ilha do Pico, Açores)

The journey to San Francisco was long, tiring, fun, stressed, calm and something I had never done.

Let's start from the very beginning...

I woke up at 5h30 in the morning so I could have the necessary time for my morning routine and leave the house to the airport with all the calm in the world. I didn't want to start my almost 24h journey day stressed. Everything was good in the journey from Porto to Lisboa, with the small exception that there were a bunch of kids in the same plane as us that had never flown. Meaning that all small things were an excuse to scream and laugh, they counted about 4 times from 5 to 1 in hope that the plane would take off when they reached 1... :)

When we arrived to Lisboa it was already time to start boarding to the flight to New York, so no time to go to the free tax area. In here, our remaining 3 journey companions joined us. The flight was completely booked and we ended up getting separated, when we had pre-booked our seats so we could be near one another... This was a good flight, even if long, 8h long... And then we arrived in Newark. We didn't get to see the Statue of Liberty, only some of us our lucky enough to see Manhattan, because we were on the right side of the plane (which would be the left one). And here started the big adventure... the first time you arrive in the USA you have to go through the Immigration Services.So, we got “held” in the Immigration Services for about 2h, and why?! Because even though we were legal, the time frame that our visas allowed us to stay in the USA was not long enough to complete our internship. So, due to that four of the six of us lost their connecting plane to San Francisco. Since I was the first one to get my extended visa I was still able to catch my plane, but I really had to run. There was this very nice sir that resolved that since I was in such a hurry I should volunteer to do a more through check-up, that is aside from having to take off my shoes and put them in the x-ray machine with my bag and computer, I was searched by a police (security)-woman and my bag, computer and shoes were screened for any trace of prohibited substances...

There were some “interesting” stories in the time in got held in the immigration services, for instance a guy was led there with his hands handcuffed, a Portuguese man was there because is name was similar with that of a guy that was having troubles with the police and there was this couple that the guy had to be deported, because if he entered the US he would be arrested... this one was a bit sad, the girl was completely torn and the boy didn't know what to do. They were still young, early 20s. But it really was the best for him to go back to Portugal, than to be arrested for 5 years...

And back to our journey, my flight to San Francisco was horrible because I didn't know what happen to the rest of the guys and was completely stressed. After 6h10m of stress, I arrived at San Francisco International Airport. The plane still was at the gate and I already had my phone on and tried phoning them... and my calls wouldn't go through. So I decided to get my bags as fast as possible (if they had made it to the plane) and go to the arrival terminal for the plane of the one that would fly separately from the rest of us. I got there and waited for about 5 minutes for her plane to land. But then I couldn't see her... I start thinking that every one was stuck in Newark, and that I couldn't reach anyone... but then we spotted each other. We decided to wait and see if the others came in the next plane, if not we would go to the hostel by ourselves. Luckily, after about an hour they arrived (their plane was late... they weren't very lucky).

Then, off to the hostel where we arrived around 2h in the morning.

I was exhausted, but I almost didn't sleep, and suffered severely from jet-lag until Wednesday, today was bit better, but I still feel tired easily...


And this is the report for the journey to San Francisco. Others will come for the remaining days. :P

No comments: